Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sorry, Pastor

I must admit to something on this Sunday morning. I usually pay attention in our worship service. I meditate on each word we repeat with our liturgist. I sing in praise and adoration if not completely on key. And, most importantly, I shut out any distractions around me to focus on what God would say through our Pastor's sermon. I know how hard she prepares. I know she prays over every word. But, on this day, I just couldn't do it.

You see, my son was sitting beside me holding my newborn grandson. My mind started to wander back in time. Back when my little guy was new and squishy. When I could snuggle his tiny head in the crook of my neck as he rested peacefully on my shoulder. Like most mothers, I wondered and worried as he grew. Am I doing things right? Will he ever know how much I love him? Do I pray with and over him enough? Have I taught him that God loves him and holds him in His Hands? Did I do a good job with the gift God gave me?

Today, I watched my son carry his child to the very altar where he was baptized and sit with the Pastor for children's time. While their little voices sang out "God is so Good", I received an unexpected answer. God whispered softly and simply "I am enough".

He is enough.

I can rest right there in those words assured in the knowledge that God is able. I don't need to worry. When I am weak, He is strong. When I stumble, He lifts me up. Whenever the enemy creeps in and I feel like I've utterly failed, I just need to remember...

He is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment