Friday, April 1, 2011

Friends and Missionaries

As a little girl, I had a friend named Rebecca Kaymeyer. We were best friends sharing secrets, exploring the neighborhood like detectives looking for a mystery to solve. I couldn't imagine life without her. But one day, she moved away. Not just to another town. She and her family moved to Africa. Her father was an optometrist and he felt called to serve in a clinic giving sight to Africans in need. They were going to be missionaries. I missed my friend but I loved the idea of going to help someone. I tucked her away in my heart and thought of her often. Rebecca, my friend, the real life missionary.

Maybe it was because of my experience with Rebecca, but until just a few years ago, I always thought that to be a missionary meant going someplace far away. I had been feeling a call to missions but I am a wife and mother, I can't go far away so how could I be a missionary? Then, God opened my eyes.

What about the little girl down the street who comes over to play with my children, have snacks and talk? She's been away in foster care several times, siblings in and out of her home, her mother away in rehab. Am I not ministering to her needs? Can I be a missionary too?

No comments:

Post a Comment